UNM GPSA Grants & Scholarships
The deadline for Summer Grant Life cycle was on Friday, June 15, but we have extended the deadline due to error in the website and will close at Midnight on Tuesday, June 18.
We are also looking for Grant Readers. Readers score the applications, and receive a $50 stipend for 3-5 hours of work. Readers must attend a reader training. The times are listed below:
- Monday, June 25, 2018, 12:30 pm, SUB Luminaria Room
- Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 5:30 pm, SUB Luminaria Room
GPSA is pleased to offer three different grants to students looking to fund their research, travel expenses, professional development, and/or the cost of research materials. Each year, we give out over $100,000 in grants to approximately 130 graduate students across campus. In addition to supporting graduate research and professional development, our grants are designed to allow students the opportunity to learn about the grant writing process and hone their skills before they submit grant proposals for larger projects. The grants and scholarships we offer include:
- Student Research Grant (SRG): May fund travel and lodging to conduct research in the field (includes artistic projects like photography or dance), the cost of research materials, and/or travel/lodging and conference fees for conferences at which the applicant is making a presentation. Offered every fall, spring and summer semester. Up to $500.
- Professional Development Grant (PDG): May fund travel/lodging and fees for job interviews, auditions, clinicals, mock trials, unpaid internships, conferences at which the applicant is not making a presentation, and other professional development travel or related expenses. May not fund expenses eligible for the SRG. Offered every fall, spring and summer semester. Up to $500.
- New Mexico Research Grant (NMRG): May fund travel, lodging, supplies, and other costs related to field research. Projects with a New Mexico state agency, nonprofit or community organization require a letter of recommendation from a representative of the organization, and are eligible for up to $5000 (High Priority). Other research projects are eligible for up to $3000 (General Priority). Offered during fall semester only.
- Graduate Scholarship Fund (GSF): In addition to our grants, each summer, fall, and spring semester we offer the Graduate Scholarship Fund (GSF) - a $1,000, need-based scholarship to help graduate students offset the cost of tuition, books, and fees.
Summer 2018 Deadlines
The Summer 2018 Grant Cycle is tentatively scheduled to close on Tuesday, June 18. Late applications will not be accepted.
Note: Please do not wait to submit your application till the last day. If the Website is down due to heavy traffic on the last day, GPSA is not responsible for it and there will not be any extensions on the deadline.
All grants must be applied for online, during an open Grant Cycle in the fall, spring, or summer semester. Dates and deadlines for these cycles are posted on the available grants page. To apply, please visit the individual grant's page for a list of requirements and application materials. All users must create a user account before applying if they have not already done so. There will be several application trainings; more information about those is available here.
All GPSA grants and scholarships are read and scored by fellow graduate students. All enrolled, degree-seeking graduate students are eligible to become readers. For reading 13-16 grants, readers receive a $50 stipend. If you are interested in becoming a reader, please visit the grant reader page for more info about signing up. This is a great way to learn about our grants process, hone your own grant writing skills, and get involved with GPSA.