Graduate Scholarship Fund, Spring 2017
The Graduate Scholarship Fund (GSF) is a $1,000 need-based scholarship offered in the Fall and Spring to students who are looking to complete their degrees. Graduate and professional students in good standing in a UNM graduate or professional degree program and within three (3) semesters of graduating are eligible for the scholarship. Preference will be given to students near the completion of their studies who demonstrate significant financial need. Students may receive the scholarship for a maximum of two (2) semesters. Students must submit a complete application packet to be considered to receive funds. In addition, applicants are encouraged to do the following to write a successful proposal:
- Attend a funding workshop to learn how to write a persuasive proposal.
- Review the scoresheet to understand how your application will be scored.
- Understand the GSF process and bylaws.
- 500 word (maximum) essay describing financial need to continue your studies, as well as other lines of current financial support. Essays in excess of the 500 word limit will not be accepted. Essays must be anonymous.
- Verification Form completed by advisor, department head, or departmental professor stating student is within three (3) semesters of degree completion.
- Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. International and non-resident students please print and complete the FAFSA paper form. After completion, take the paper form to UNM One-Stop to be evaluated by financial aid personnel.
Your application will be scored by three readers that will be randomly assigned to read your proposal. All readers will base their scores on the GSF Scoresheet and will award points up to 100 total. The raw scores of each reader will be normalized to account for the wide range of readers' scores.
In addition, 50% of your score will be determined by your unmet financial need as reported by the UNM Financial Aid Office. The combination of these two scores will determine your final score and ranking.